Harrowing pictures of wreckage from e-bike battery explosion that destroyed man’s flat after he bought it on Amazon

A man has shared disturbing photos of his apartment after his e-bike battery caught fire and his house burned down.

Reecestraat, 32, had to be rehoused and lost thousands of pounds worth of belongings after the fire destroyed his flat.

He had only lived in his flat for a few weeks when the incident happened on November 13 last year.

Mr Street, from Nottingham, bought his lithium battery pack from UPP via Amazon in October.

On the night of the fire, he had trouble falling asleep, so he was able to disconnect the battery pack from the charger around 3 a.m. after it reached 100 percent.

However, about an hour later, Mr Street said the fire started and eventually forced the evacuation of his entire building, which contains a total of nine properties.

He happened to choose to sleep in his living room that night and left his bike outside his bedroom.

Reecestraat said the fire started in the early hours of last year and eventually forced the evacuation of his entire building, which contains a total of nine properties.

Reecestraat said the fire started in the early hours of the morning last year and eventually forced the evacuation of his entire building, which contains a total of nine properties.

Mr Street had only lived in his flat for a few weeks when the incident happened on November 13 last year

Mr Street had only lived in his flat for a few weeks when the incident happened on November 13 last year

He bought his lithium battery pack from UPP via Amazon in October

He bought his lithium battery pack from UPP via Amazon in October

Reece Street, 32, had to be rehoused and lost thousands of pounds worth of possessions after the fire destroyed his flat

Reece Street, 32, had to be rehoused and lost thousands of pounds worth of possessions after the fire destroyed his flat

Mr Street said: ‘I would have been dead (if I had been in the bedroom). I wouldn’t have made it out.

‘It was like missiles coming down my hallway because it has 80 capsules in the battery pack, so it had 80 explosions.

“Luckily I had a blanket with me in the living room so I just held it up in front of me and managed to get out.”

He said the consequences could have been much more tragic if the fire had happened the night before, as his five-year-old son was staying at the flat.

The government has now issued a recall of all UPP e-bike battery packs sold via Amazon, AliBaba and eBay.

The products, which are made in China, are said to pose a ‘serious risk of fire’.

The Office for Product Safety and Standards said in its recall notice, published earlier this week: ‘The product poses a serious fire risk as it is poorly constructed with poor welding to join the components.

‘The product also lacked a heat sensor to prevent overheating, with the battery management system not sufficient to prevent the battery from going into thermal runaway.

‘The product does not meet the requirements of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005.

‘Owners are advised to stop using the battery immediately and dispose of it safely via their local household waste disposal site.’

Mr Street says he now flags down all e-cyclists he sees in Nottingham to warn them of the dangers of using UPP batteries.

“Probably 80 per cent of Nottingham (e-bike users) are still riding around with the same battery pack,” Mr Street said.

Nottingham Community Housing Association immediately rehoused Mr Street and Amazon gave him a full refund of almost £500 after the fire

Nottingham Community Housing Association immediately rehoused Mr Street and Amazon gave him a full refund of almost £500 after the fire

Mr Street says he now flags down all e-cyclists he sees in Nottingham to warn them of the dangers of using UPP battery packs

Mr Street says he now flags down all e-cyclists he sees in Nottingham to warn them of the dangers of using UPP battery packs

The UPP e-bike battery packs, made in China, are said to pose a 'serious risk of fire'

The UPP e-bike battery packs, made in China, are said to pose a ‘serious risk of fire’

Mr Street said he thought he might have died if he had slept in his bedroom that night

Mr Street said he thought he might have died if he had slept in his bedroom that night

The Nottingham Community Housing Association (NCHA) owns the building affected by the e-bike fire, although only Mr Street’s flat was destroyed.

The association rehoused Mr Street and Amazon gave him a full refund of almost £500 after the fire.

But Mr Street added: ‘The payback I got is nothing compared to what it did to my head. I now have trouble sleeping at night.

‘I like my house fresh and I’m very house proud. I literally just bought all new stuff for the apartment and it was all destroyed. The possessions I lost are worth thousands of pounds.’

An Amazon spokesperson said: ‘Security is a top priority at Amazon and we want customers to shop our stores with confidence.

‘We require that all products offered in our store comply with applicable laws and regulations and we monitor for product safety issues.

‘If customers have concerns about an item they have purchased, we encourage them to contact our customer service team so we can investigate and take appropriate action to protect customers.

‘These products have been removed from the store and we are in contact with the customer to investigate further.’

UPP has been contacted by MailOnline for comment.