It’s business as usual for hardy Princess Anne: King’s sister is set to hand out honours at Windsor Castle before travelling to the Midlands for royal visit after learning of Charles’ cancer diagnosis
Princess Anne is carrying on with business as usual after being informed of her brother Charles’ cancer diagnosis as she prepares to present honors at Windsor Castle before traveling to the Midlands in a busy day of royal engagements.
The princess, who is seen as a stalwart member of the royal family, was one of the close family members personally told by King Charles of his diagnosis, which he had known about since early last week.
She is one of a number of senior members of the family who are expected to increase the number of engagements they take on as the monarch steps back to focus on his health, ordered by doctors.
The Princess Royal will lead an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle and hand out honors to the likes of conductor Ivor Bolton, tenor Nicky Spence, rugby union referee Sara Cox and wheelchair rugby league player James Simpson. She is then scheduled to travel to the Midlands later today for a royal visit.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement last night that doctors had noticed a separate ‘matter of concern’ for the King during an operation for a benign enlarged prostate, which had since been confirmed to be cancerous.
Princess Anne continues business as usual after being informed of her brother Charles’ cancer diagnosis
The King (pictured with Camilla after leaving The London Clinic on January 29) spent last night at home in London after starting outpatient cancer treatment
It comes as Princess of Wales Kate Middleton continues to recover from planned abdominal surgery, while Sarah Ferguson is also battling cancer for the second time, having recently been diagnosed with malignant melanoma.
It is not unusual for the Princess Royal to take on important royal duties such as investitures – she previously performed such ceremonies on January 17 and 24.
Before that, the King performed two in December, with Prince William taking the mantle on November 27.
The King spent last night at home in London after starting outpatient cancer treatment – as family and friends revealed the monarch remains ‘extremely positive’ following his bombshell diagnosis.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement last night: ‘During the King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostatic enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests identified a form of cancer.
“His Majesty has today begun a schedule of regular treatments, during which he has been advised by doctors to postpone public duties. His Majesty will continue to undertake government business and official paperwork as usual during this period.
‘The King is grateful to his medical team for their quick intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains completely positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public service as soon as possible.
“His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope that it may help public understanding for everyone around the world affected by cancer.”
Charles was admitted to hospital on January 26 for surgery to treat a benign enlarged prostate. He stayed at The London Clinic for three nights before being discharged and returning home.
The king, who was pictured in France last September, will continue to work behind the scenes on red boxes and constitutional duties, but public duties have been suspended and will be shared among his family
Buckingham Palace said in a statement: ‘During the King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests identified a form of cancer’
The 75-year-old monarch left the London Clinic last Monday with Queen Camilla by his side
The Prince of Wales, the Queen and other working royals all have to step up their royal duties while the King undergoes outpatient treatment.
Buckingham Palace has confirmed that a number of the king’s upcoming public engagements will have to be rearranged or postponed, but it is not expected that councilors of state will have to be appointed.
In the event that a monarch is unable to undertake their duties as sovereign on a temporary basis due to illness, two or more Councilors of State may be appointed by Letters Patent to act in their place.
It is hoped the king will continue with some of his duties, but how much he can do will depend on the progress of his treatment and the orders of his doctors.
Other members of the Royal Family are expected to continue with a full program of public engagements and may undertake some additional duties on behalf of the King if required to do so.
Usually, the duty falls in the first instance to William, who recently returned to royal duties after the Princess of Wales underwent major abdominal surgery last month.
William took time off to support his family as Kate first recovered in hospital and then returned to Windsor to recuperate.
He will host an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle on Wednesday and will attend the London Air Ambulance annual fundraising gala in central London that evening, Kensington Palace said.
Camilla will also continue a full schedule of public duties while her husband is being treated, the palace said.
Provisions for Counselors of State are made under the Regency Acts 1937 to 1953 and those currently able to stand in for Charles include Queen Camilla and the four most senior adults in the line of succession over the age of 21 – the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Sussex, the Duke of York and Princess Beatrice.
In 2022, the king asked parliament to add his youngest brother, the Duke of Edinburgh, and sister, the Princess Royal, as extra advisers of state, so they could deputize for him if needed, and the addition was quickly followed into law .
The legislation did add Anne and Edward to the list, but stopped short of removing Andrew and Harry. However, the House of Lords heard that only “working members” of the royal family would be called upon to act as councilors of state.
The Duke of Sussex flies to London to be with his father following the King’s shock cancer diagnosis.
But Harry is not expected to take on any royal duties.
Charles is positive about his treatment and hopes to return to full public service as soon as possible, the palace said.