‘It’s total nonsense’: Palace’s fury over Spanish show’s ‘lies’ that Kate was in a ‘coma’ and in ‘great danger’ following Princess of Wales’s surgery

Palace officials are said to have been left fuming after a Spanish news programme’s ‘made up’ claims that Kate was in a ‘coma’ and in ‘great danger’ following abdominal surgery.

Overseas journalist Concha Calleja claimed doctors had to act quickly to ‘save her life’ in a broadcast the day before she was discharged from hospital

The author, 59, who has appeared as a royal expert on Spanish TV, said the medical team’s “drastic” actions included intubating the 42-year-old Princess of Wales and putting her in an induced coma.

She claims: ‘There were serious complications that they did not expect because the operation went well, but the post-operative period did not go so well.’

She went on to say that Kate’s recovery ‘may require some assistance, and I’m not just referring to her family’ – as she said ‘virtually an entire hospital’ is being set up to support her at their Windsor home.

But the Spaniard’s claims – made on news channel Fiesta – were rubbished by the palace.

The author, who has appeared as a royal expert on Spanish TV, said the medical team's

The author, who has appeared as a royal expert on Spanish TV, said the medical team’s “drastic” actions included intubating the 42-year-old Princess of Wales and putting her in an induced coma. Pictured: The Princess of Wales attends the Royal Variety Performance in November

Concha Calleja

Concha Calleja

Overseas journalist Concha Calleja claimed doctors had to act quickly to ‘save her life’ in a broadcast the day before she was discharged from hospital

Flowers left for Kate by a well-wisher are being taken back to Windsor by a royal aide

The Princess of Wales was released from hospital just hours before King Charles also left the London clinic (pictured) after a three-day stay to recover from prostate surgery

The Princess of Wales was released from hospital just hours before King Charles also left the London clinic (pictured) after a three-day stay to recover from prostate surgery

‘It’s complete nonsense,’ a source told The Telegraph. ‘That journalist made no effort to check anything she said with anyone in the household.

“It’s fundamentally completely made up, and I’ll use polite English here: it’s absolutely not the case.”

Fiesta, the most watched channel in Spain for 13 years, is known for its gossip shows and was founded by an Italian media company formerly owned by Silvio Berlusconi.

The allegations about the Princess of Wales quickly went viral – and were even picked up by the country’s more serious websites, including El Confidencial, La Vanguardia and La Razon.

Calleja claimed to have gained the insight from an aide in the royal household ‘in a completely confidential manner’ – something the palace completely denied.

They also vehemently denied her claims that Kate was first taken to hospital on December 28, where she stayed for several days, as she said she ‘started to feel unwell, not for the first time not.’

Kate Middleton returned home earlier this week after a two-week stay in hospital following abdominal surgery – with flowers and a gift bag driven back to Windsor by well-wishers by a royal aide.

She checked into The London Clinic 14 days earlier on Tuesday, January 16 – with royal sources saying she was ‘making good progress’ and will now continue her recovery from home.

Calleja claimed to have gained the insight from an aide in the royal household 'in a completely confidential manner' - something the palace completely denied.  Pictured: William and Kate at Bisham Abbey on Mental Health Day in October

Calleja claimed to have gained the insight from an aide in the royal household ‘in a completely confidential manner’ – something the palace completely denied. Pictured: William and Kate at Bisham Abbey on Mental Health Day in October

Royal aides at Kensington Palace say the Princess of Wales is 'making good progress'

Royal aides at Kensington Palace say the Princess of Wales is ‘making good progress’

MailOnline understands her return to official duties will depend on medical advice closer to the time, and William will return to public engagements once she is settled.

The Princess of Wales was released from hospital just hours before King Charles also left the London clinic after a three-day stay to recover from prostate surgery. The beaming was pictured leaving the clinic with Queen Camilla by his side.

Charles visited Kate last Friday morning before his operation and was also visited four times by his wife, Queen Camilla, at the hospital in Marylebone.

Kate, who is said by Kensington Palace to be ‘doing well’, left the London Clinic in Marylebone yesterday morning after being admitted for surgery on January 16.

The Mail revealed on Monday that Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis were not taken to visit their mother in hospital after she recovered from ‘tummy surgery’.

As her children would have been at school when she returned, they probably would not have seen her for the first time until they returned to Adelaide Cottage from Lambrook School, ten minutes’ drive away, later in the afternoon.

This will almost certainly be the longest period the princess has been away from them.

William and Kate have both prioritized their children above all else and arranged engagements so that at least one can do school where possible.

Charles visited Kate last Friday morning before his operation and was also visited four times by his wife, Queen Camilla, at the hospital in Marylebone.  Pictured together at the World Premiere of the James Bond 007 film "No time to die"

Charles visited Kate last Friday morning before his operation and was also visited four times by his wife, Queen Camilla, at the hospital in Marylebone. Pictured together at the World Premiere of the James Bond 007 film ‘No Time to Die’

They have also ensured that foreign tours are shorter so they can be home at weekends, the only exception being their 2022 trip to the Caribbean.

It is understood that Prince William, who cleared his diary to be by his wife’s side throughout, was at the hospital when she was discharged and likely drove her home.

In a statement, a Kensington Palace spokesman said: ‘The Princess of Wales has returned home to Windsor to continue her recovery from the operation. She is making good progress.

‘The Prince and Princess would like to say a big thank you to the whole team at The London Clinic, especially the dedicated nursing staff, for the care they provided.

‘The Wallis family remains grateful for the well wishes they have received.’

Charles walked out of The London Clinic in Marylebone today with Queen Camilla by his side after three nights under observation.

The 75-year-old monarch was admitted at around 9am last Friday morning as he underwent a corrective procedure for the benign condition.

The road was cleared, but a large crowd of children and bystanders gathered to watch them get into a waiting car.

There was a strong presence of uniformed police officers standing guard as the royal couple were driven away.

It has been reported that Charles may take up to a month off from public duties while he recovers.

The King was visited twice by Queen Camilla yesterday, the third and fourth times she has seen him at the private hospital since their arrival.