Rosewater: Body of mother and son found by family member inside house in suburban Adelaide as detectives charge homeless man with murder
A homeless man has been charged with murder after a mother and son were found dead at a home in Adelaide’s west.
The South Australian Police were called to the property on Rosetta Street in Rosewater at 1.20pm on Saturday.
The bodies of Antoinette Tozer (76) and her son, Steve Tozer (55), were found inside with significant injuries.
A 43-year-old man, of no fixed address but who lived across the street from the house, was arrested nearby and later charged with two counts of murder.
The bodies were found by Ms. Tozer’s daughter, who called police to report finding her brother and mother dead.
She reportedly went to the home on a welfare check after not hearing from them.
Acting Assistant Commissioner Graham Goodwin said the woman had been confronted with a ‘horrific scene’.
The body of Antoinette Tozer (76) and her son, Steve Tozer (55), were found with serious injuries in a house in Adelaide on Saturday afternoon.
Detectives have arrested a 43-year-old homeless man who is being questioned in connection with the deaths
The police are not looking for any other suspects and believe the incident was not accidental
Detectives arrested the 43-year-old man near the scene and took him in for questioning in connection with the deaths.
The police are not looking for any other suspects and believe the incident was not accidental.
Officers would not speculate whether a weapon was used in the alleged attack, but they confirmed that no firearms were involved.
“The relationship between the suspect and the residents of that address is unknown,” Acting Assistant Commissioner Goodwin said.
“It is believed that they were known to each other, but at this stage we do not know what that relationship was.”
Police are hoping to speak to anyone who has information about the events that led to the death of the woman and her son.
‘I do ask for the public’s support… not only for events for today, but also for events of the days leading up to these tragic circumstances,” Mr Goodwin added.
Charles Crossley (67), who also lives on the street, told ABC News that he couldn’t fathom something like this happening in his typically quiet street.
“I think it’s disgusting, I can’t fathom it at all, I really can’t,” he said.
“This street is so quiet and nothing like this has ever happened before.”
One more neighbor, who wishes to remain anonymous, said the Advertiser that she heard a loud bang Saturday morning from her courtyard.
More than ten police cars remain at the Rosetta Street house and forensic teams are investigating the scene.
Anyone with dashcam footage or any other information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.
The man will appear before the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday.