Terror in Maryland as female driver goes on rampage, hitting five random people with her car and stabbing three others in 90mins of carnage: Cops liken the panic to the hunt for the DC sniper in 2002

  • The terrifying 90 minutes played out just 10 minutes from Washington DC on Thursday night
  • The woman, whose identity has not been released, was arrested later that evening
  • The local police chief compared the panic felt in Maryland to the manhunt for the DC sniper in 2002

A woman has been arrested after going on a chaotic crime spree where she hit five people in four separate hit-and-runs and stabbed two others, including a teenager, before going on the run in Maryland.

The terrifying incident took place over a 90-minute period on Thursday, leading a police chief to compare the fear felt in the area to the search for the DC sniper

The horror began when a pedestrian was hit by a car in the town Capitol Heights, just ten miles from Washington DC, around 5:00 p.m. This woman suffered minor injuries.

Ten minutes later, police were called to a separate scene in Landover where a man and a 15-year-old had been hit by a car. Witnesses said the woman then got out of her car and stabbed the teenager, leaving them with critical injuries. The man suffered non-life threatening injuries.

At 17:30 another person was hit, again with non-life threatening injuries. And then, just a few minutes later, another person was hit by the car.

An hour later, a stabbing was reported at a gas station in Lanham after the suspect hailed a taxi and shortly after getting into the car, attacked and stabbed the driver, police said.

Shortly after this stabbing, the police released a description of the suspect and the car.

Investigators quickly determined that the suspect was a woman driving a dark-colored sedan

Investigators quickly determined that the suspect was a woman driving a dark-colored sedan

The mastermind behind the DC sniper attacks, John Muhammad

Muhammad's teenage accomplice, Lee Boyd Malvo

One official described the manhunt for the stabbing suspect as reminiscent of the manhunt for DC sniper John Muhammad, left. and Lee Boyd Malvo, right

The taxi driver’s injuries were described by the authorities as critical. Local media showed the car being towed away from the scene.

Investigators quickly determined that the suspect was a woman driving a dark-colored sedan.

Late Thursday, Prince George’s County police announced that the woman is now in custody. They did not release details about her condition or the circumstances surrounding her arrest.

Deputy Chief James McCreary of the Prince George’s County police told the media that he has been with the force since 2004 and that he has not seen panic since the carnage inflicted by the Washington DC sniper in the region.

“It’s very worrying, very scary, and that’s why we wanted to warn the public right away,” he said, according to WUSA9.

‘The closest thing I can think of in recent memory was the DC sniper when I came up. It’s shocking,” he added.

Lee Boyd Malvo was 17 when he and John Allen Muhammad shot and killed 10 people and wounded three others over a three-week period in October 2002.

Several other victims had been shot and killed across the country in the previous months as the duo traveled from Washington state to the nation’s capital.

Malvo was convicted of capital murder in Virginia and sentenced to life in prison without parole. But a series of Supreme Court rulings and a change in Virginia law gave Malvo the opportunity to seek parole after serving nearly 20 years in custody.

Malvo’s accomplice, John Allen Muhammad, was executed in Virginia in 2009.